Youth & Government

Youth in Government is a national program of the Y that involves thousands of teens nationwide in state-organized, model-government programs. Students from every corner of the U.S. have the opportunity to immerse themselves in experiential civic engagement and to, quite literally, practice democracy. Teens from across every state meet in their local Youth in Government groups throughout the year to discuss and debate issues that affect citizens of their state and to propose legislation. The program culminates with teens serving as delegates at their state conference, debating bills on the floor of the legislature.

There is no other volunteer organization quite like the Y. Each of our volunteers helps move people and communities forward, delivering the benefits of good health, strong communities, greater self-confidence and a sense of security to all who seek it. Help bring about meaningful, enduring change in your community and volunteer at the Los Altos Family YMCA.

Volunteer Opportunities

Call 562.423.0491 for more information


The good you do lives on forever through making the Y a part of your legacy. We invite you to learn more.


Thank you for your service!
Click here to view a printable flyer to have your joining fee waived.
We understand that military families are under enormous strain. As a member of the Y, you and your family can spend quality time together and enjoy fun activities in a warm, supportive environment. It’s also a place to meet other military families who can relate to your unique situation.


Who is eligible for membership?

Title 10 personnel are eligible for a Y membership, including:

  • Family members of deployed National Guard and Reservists
  • Active Duty Independent Duty personnel and their families
  • Wounded service members assigned to a Community Based Warrior in Transition Unit (CBWTU) 
  • Relocated spouse/dependent children of deployed Active Duty personnel ( Note: The Relocated Spouse category supports families/spouse who relocate away from an installation/duty station while the active duty service member is deployed. All of the following criteria must be met:
    • The service member is on active duty.
    • The service member is DEPLOYED for a minimum of six months (on deployment orders—NOT unaccompanied orders, NOT geographic bachelors).
    • The spouse has relocated away from the military installation where the service member is assigned (most often, back home near family).

What do you need to do?

1. Contact Military OneSource at or 800.342.9647 to confirm your eligibility and receive an eligibility form.
2. Fill out and bring your eligibility form, Military ID and any other required documentation (usually, your Deployment Orders or Military Service Headquarters approval letter) to our YMCA for verification.
If you have any questions, please contact Brandi Collato at 562.596.3394